Janet L. Goehle, Attorney at Law
651-243-6005 800-598-6990 Call For A Consultation

October 2014 Archives

Can a Minnesota parent change an existing child support order?

It's axiomatic that divorce carries with it a financial burden. Spouses go from sharing expenses on a single household to having support two households. The state of Minnesota's priority, however, is making sure the children in a divorce or separation are taken care of. As a result, these splits often involve child support order to ensure children do not get the short end of a stick.

How much control does a parent have after a divorce in Minnesota?

Recently, Minnesota parents may have been abuzz with lively debates over the pros and cons of various parenting tactics in light of Vikings star Adrian Peterson's legal troubles related to whipping his son. This issue happens to coincide with the 20th anniversary of Attachment Parenting International, a group that actually supports certain levels of corporal punishment for children.

Minnesota avoiding same-sex marriage hurdles

As same-sex marriage laws change by the day, novel issues regarding same-sex divorce and same-sex child custody grow more and more prevalent. The truth is, anytime a law is changed or a new law is passed, there are unforeseen consequences that are not addressed. This is the case for hundreds of same-sex married couples seeking divorce in states, which do not recognize their marriage, unlike Minnesota.

Child support not a short term requirement for Minnesota parents

A child has the right to be supported through the age of majority. This standard mantra, spelled out in Minnesota's statutory scheme, means that parents must produce the finances necessary to care for their children whether or not the parents are married. As a result, parents across the state are saddled with long-term child support obligations following a divorce.

What are the extent of grandparents' rights in Minnesota?

This blog regularly focuses on issues concerning divorce and child custody as they relate to parents. Such issues, though, may be just as pressing for grandparents. Unfortunately, their rights are often suppressed by parents or other guardians who have direct access and control of the children. The question arises whether grandparents can do anything to enforce their rights.

Email Us For A Response

Send An Email

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

FindLaw Network