Resolution Through Negotiation

Family law and child custody representation in Minnesota's Twin Cities.

Protecting The Rights Of Grandparents

One fallout of high divorce rates nationwide is an increased focus on grandparents’ rights. Minnesota statutes state that if grandparents are not being allowed access to the grandchildren, they may request visitation rights.

At the law office of Janet L. Goehle, Attorney at Law, in St. Paul, Minnesota, I protect the rights of grandparents to maintain a significant presence in their grandchildren’s lives. Grandparents who find themselves suddenly cut off from grandchildren should consult a lawyer to discuss the course of action that their specific situations require. I help grandparents when one parent of grandchildren dies, if the grandchildren’s parents get divorced, or if the grandchildren’s parents have never been married.

My Services Honor My Grandparents

My grandparents and parents were a significant influence on my life. They measured life in giving to the community rather than number of years lived. To honor my grandparents and parents, I donate five percent of my profit to five charities: Feed My Starving Children; Heifer International; Southern Minnesota Regional Legal Services; Blessings in a Backpack; and Disabled American Veterans.

Know Your Minnesota Visitation Rights

Minnesota lawmakers have given district courts broad discretion to determine what is in the best interests of children regarding grandparents’ visitation. In deciding grandparenting time, one factor the court considers is the amount of personal interaction and the quality of the relationship that existed between the grandparent and the child before the petition was filed.

As a St. Paul grandparents’ rights attorney, my experience is that a lot can be accomplished outside of court. I often include these provisions in negotiated settlements that do not require court proceedings.

There are some circumstances wherein grandparents in Minnesota may be able to obtain custody of grandchildren. If a child’s parents have substance abuse issues, have been incarcerated, have been disabled, have abandoned the child or are otherwise not willing or able to be a parent, grandparents may seek custody.

Get The Custody Information You Need To Move Forward

Grandparents who are seeking custody or simply want more time with their grandchildren should discuss their rights with an experienced attorney. Call 651-243-6005 or email my office to schedule a free consultation.