Janet L. Goehle, Attorney at Law
651-243-6005 800-598-6990 Call For A Consultation

July 2016 Archives

Setting up a visitation schedule that works for everyone

Divorce often presents new challenges for parents in Minnesota. One of those obstacles involves the visitation schedule. Many people contact Janet L. Goehle, Attorney at Law, unaware of the fact that they do have the option of working with the other parent to establish a visitation schedule that works in the best interests of everyone. When you are making this schedule, it is important that you and your ex-spouse consider each other’s needs and those of your children. Regardless of who receives legal or physical custody of the kids, the visitation rights of the noncustodial parent must be honored, unless the courts rule otherwise.

How does equitable distribution affect me in a divorce?

You are getting a divorce but are concerned about how your marital property will be split. Minnesota is an equitable distribution state, which means the courts will use certain rules to determine how to divide any property and assets that were acquired by you and your spouse during your marriage. To keep your divorce from dragging on, you may be able to negotiate a divorce settlement with your soon-to-be ex-spouse. According to The Huffington Post, you may also be able to divide your assets privately if you previously entered into a postnuptial agreement with your soon-to-be ex-spouse.

Can I get an annulment instead of a divorce?

Now that the wedding is over, you feel that marrying your spouse was a mistake and you find yourself asking - can I get an annulment instead of a divorce? While both are legal ways to end a marriage in Minnesota, the difference is that an annulment can legally erase your marriage so that it never occurred.

Co-parenting after divorce: it's almost back-to-school time

It is already midsummer and while it may be hard to imagine, it is not too early to start thinking about preparing for the kids heading back to school. It can be especially important for divorced parents to start the planning process early, particularly if there is a high level of family tension or if major decisions need to be made such as whether a son or daughter should change schools and how that might impact the child's primary residence.

Email Us For A Response

Send An Email

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

FindLaw Network