Resolution Through Negotiation

Family law and child custody representation in Minnesota's Twin Cities.

Putting The Child’s Needs First

A parent’s duty to support his or her child does not end at divorce. A child has a right to be fully supported, regardless of the marital status of the parents. Therefore, when parents divorce or separate, the court will establish child support according to Minnesota’s child support guidelines.

Although child support guidelines are based on a strict formula, there are occasions in which the court will depart from these payment guidelines, resulting in a reduction or increase of ordered support. It is essential to have an experienced child support lawyer who understands the law and ensures that your child support order accurately addresses your family’s financial situation.

Factors that are considered include:

  • Gross monthly income of each parent
  • Number of children living in each parent’s home
  • Existing child support orders
  • Monthly expense for medical and dental coverage
  • Child care costs
  • Percentage or amount of parenting time

Making Support Modifications When Necessary

Given the fluidity of life circumstances, child support orders can be modified when there has been a substantial change in financial circumstances. This may include job loss, disability, a significant increase or decrease in a parent’s income or a change in the percentage of parenting time.

Even when you and the other party agree on the change, it is important to complete the legal process for support modifications. As an experienced St. Paul child support attorney, I can lead you through the process to change your child support payment efficiently and cost-effectively.

Start The Conversation Today

To get your specific questions about child support and modifications answered, contact my firm, Janet L. Goehle, Attorney at Law, to arrange for a free initial consultation. We can discuss your situation and your rights and options. Call 651-243-6005 or email my office to set up a time to meet.