Making a Difference

One Client at a Time

St. Paul Grandparents’ Rights Lawyer

One fallout of high divorce rates nationwide is an increased focus on grandparents’ rights. Minnesota statutes state that if grandparents are not being allowed access to the grandchildren, they may request visitation rights.

At the law office of Janet L. Goehle, Attorney at Law, in St. Paul, Minnesota, I protect the rights of grandparents to maintain a significant presence in their grandchildren’s lives. Grandparents who find themselves suddenly cut off from grandchildren should consult a lawyer to discuss the course of action that their specific situations require. I help grandparents when one parent of grandchildren dies, if the grandchildren’s parents get divorced, or if the grandchildren’s parents have never been married.

Honoring My Grandparents

My grandparents and parents were a significant influence on my life. Continuing the tradition of my parents and grandparents who valued life by it donation rather than duration. To honor my grandparents and parents, I donate 5 percent of my profit to five charities: Feed My Starving Children; Heifer International; Southern Minnesota Regional Legal Services; Blessings in a Backpack; and Disabled American Veterans.

Know Your Rights With Help From a Minneapolis Grandparents’ Visitation Rights Attorney

Minnesota lawmakers have given district courts broad discretion to determine what is in the best interests of children regarding grandparents’ visitation. In deciding grandparenting time, one factor the court considers is the amount of personal interaction and the quality of the relationship that existed between the grandparent and the child before the petition was filed.

As a St. Paul Grandparents’ rights attorney, my experience is that a lot can be accomplished outside of court. I often include these provisions in negotiated settlements that do not require court proceedings.

Obtaining Custody of Children

Minnesota third-party custody law states that when biological parents are unfit or unable to provide care, grandparents, relatives or other interested adults may be able to obtain custody of children caught in this situation.

Some reasons third-party custody may be granted include:

  • Parental abandonment or negligence
  • Parental drug or alcohol abuse
  • Child abuse
  • Inability to provide care due to a handicap
  • Incarcerated parent
  • Missing parent

If you are a grandparent who is seeking custody, or you simply want more time with your grandchildren, discussing your rights with me can help you achieve your goals in this area. Call 651-243-6005 or email my office to schedule a free consultation.

Office Location

Janet L. Goehle, Attorney at Law
1912 Lexington Avenue North
Suite 300
Roseville, MN 55113-6100

Phone: 651-243-6005
Fax: 651-645-6801
Roseville Law Office Map

Send An Email

Email Us For An Response