Janet L. Goehle, Attorney at Law
651-243-6005 800-598-6990 Call For A Consultation

Can a Minnesota parent change an existing child support order?

It's axiomatic that divorce carries with it a financial burden. Spouses go from sharing expenses on a single household to having support two households. The state of Minnesota's priority, however, is making sure the children in a divorce or separation are taken care of. As a result, these splits often involve child support order to ensure children do not get the short end of a stick.

These support agreements, like most resolutions achieved during a divorce, are difficult to change. This difficulty can be frustrating for those struggling with the increasing cost of living and/or other factors affecting a support arrangement which has not kept up with the times.

Fortunately, there are options for those interested in modifying the child support agreement, both up or down. First, the parents may file a stipulation agreeing to the change. While this may not always seem realistic, the alternative often causes parents to agree to a compromise.

The other option is to file a motion to modify the order. This requires the moving party show a change in circumstances. Cost of living is just one of the many factors which may affect the circumstances enough to convince a judge to change the child support amount.

Going through a divorce can be a very stressful experience and the weight of child support can only heighten it. With such important situations, seeking the assistance of an experienced attorney can help iron out the complexities and hopefully reach a conclusion that it beneficial to the parties involved.

Source: Minnesota Courts, "How to Modify an Existing Support Order," accessed on October 24, 2014

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Send An Email

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

FindLaw Network