Jump to Navigation

St. Paul Family Law Blog

Changing parental custody after a divorce in Minnesota

Minnesota residents know that child custody can be one of the primary issues during any divorce case because where a child's residence is very important to everyone involved. Minnesota courts will always make their custody decision based on the best interests of the child. But sometimes life situations can change and a custodial parent may need to turn custody over to the non-custodial parent. So here a few reasons when a Minnesota court will consider approving a child custody change.

It is very hard to change child custody arrangements once they have been approved by a court. However, a court will consider this if the custodial parent's life situation has changed significantly. This kind of condition could include a significant change in the custodial parent's financial situation which may have deteriorated to the point that they can no longer properly provide for their child. The other situation that a court will consider is if the child's emotional and physical well being is in danger because of the current custody arrangement.

Rapper released from jail for non-payment of child support

Failure to pay child support is a serious development after a divorce and can result in aggressive prosecution. Anyone who has been accused of this offense can find themselves facing both fines and significant jail time. However, one famous rapper has just been released from jail early after serving time for failing to pay overdue child support.

DMX has just been released from prison after serving two months of a six month sentence for not paying overdue child support. The rapper was released after his attorney filed a motion to stay the remainder of his prison time until the situation could be properly resolved.

What are the requirements for a Minnesota postnuptial agreement?

Minnesota residents are familiar with the basic premise of a prenuptial agreement. However, they may not be aware that Minnesota state law also allows a married couple to draw up a postnuptial agreement once they are married. But do the requirements of a postnuptial agreement differ from a prenuptial agreement? And, more specifically, what are some of these requirements?

Minnesota law states that a postnuptial agreement must conform to the same conditions of a prenuptial agreement in the state. One of these conditions is that each party must have their own legal representative. This means that at the time the agreement will be signed, each spouse has had the chance to have their own attorney review the document.

Avril Lavigne and Chad Kroeger end their two year marriage

In what may not be a surprise to fans, rockers Avril Lavigne and Chad Kroeger have officially announced their separation. Music fans may know Lavigne as the Canadian punk rocker with over 30 million albums and 50 million singles sold worldwide. Chad Kroeger is lead singer and co-founder of the band Nickleback, which is among the most successful Canadian rock bands of all time, with over 50 million albums sold.

Considering the worldwide and long-standing success of both musicians, with over a decade each, it is likely that both have achieved and received substantial income during that time. When celebrities enter a marriage, it is important for them to have an understanding of potential problems that may arise with regards to asset division if the couple decides to divorce. It may be wise for them to consider creating a prenuptial or postnuptial agreement to protect each of their individual assets in the event of a divorce.

Celebrity chef must pay for child support and divide all assets

A divorce can be emotionally and financially draining on all of the parties involved. But it can be even worse in a high asset divorce since there can be sizable assets such as vacation homes, stocks and trust funds that must be divided up. And it seems that one beloved celebrity chef has found out just how expensive a divorce can be.

Well known chef and TV personality Giada De Laurentiis has just finalized her divorce from her husband, designer Todd Thompson. The couple was married for 11 years and has a seve-year-old daughter. And while they have both agreed to joint custody of their daughter, Ms. De Laurentiis has been ordered by the court to pay child support to her ex.

How co-parenting can help children after a divorce

Most Minnesota parents know how difficult it can be to raise children after a divorce. That's because a divorce can be extremely emotional and raise a lot of painful feelings. However, despite these emotions most parents know that co-parenting their children with their ex is still the best way to raise them even after splitting up. Here are a few tips that can help divorced couples successfully co-parent their children.A primary key that can help divorced spouses be better co-parents is to center their attention on their children. This means taking all of their negative feelings about each other and putting them aside. Parents should be thinking ahead and striving to do what's best for their kids. Negative feelings about their ex should never be discussed with their children, but can be talked about with a trusted friend or family member.

Another important co-parenting tip is for ex-spouses to keep the lines of communication open between them, especially when it comes to their children. If a parent has to call the other to discuss a situation with their child, the parent may want to organize their thoughts first and calmly prepare to call their ex. They should try to maintain conflict-free communication.

Errors that couples make concerning property during a divorce

Divorce can sometimes get ugly since it can dredge up painful emotional experiences for the participants. For this reason, many people, including those in Minnesota, may try to settle a divorce as quickly as possible in order to get it over with. But this method can lead to costly mistakes that can seriously affect that person later on. One area where this can be especially true is the real estate portion of property division. Here are two common mistakes that people make with regard to real estate while divorcing.

A very common mistake made during a divorce is for one partner to believe that they are no longer responsible for a property's mortgage because their ex was awarded the property. Just because the former spouse has control of the property doesn't mean that he or she will automatically take the other spouse's name off the mortgage. Even worse, the court that granted the divorce cannot make the spouse take the ex spouse's name off the mortgage. This means that if the spouse who owns the property fails to make the mortgage payments, the bank that owns the mortgage may try to make the other spouse pay.

Famous musician couple announces divorce after 13 years together

Minnesota residents know that a divorce can be devastating to both of the parties involved as well as the children. The process can even be more difficult if the couple has been together for a long time. It now appears that one famous musician couple has decided to end their marriage and join the long list of famous musicians who could not make their marriage work.

Celebrity musicians Gwen Stefani and Gavin Rossdale have both decided to end their 13-year marriage. The couple announced their decision to divorce in a statement that was released to a Hollywood website. The couple asked the media for privacy during this time.

What are the rights and duties of adoptive parents in Minnesota?

Adopting a child can be an amazing experience. And while bringing love and a stable environment to a deserving child can be rewarding, the process of adoption can be time consuming and frustrating. Minnesota courts grant specific rights and responsibilities to prospective adoptive parents, but some state residents may not know what they are. So here is a quick overview of some of these rights and responsibilities.

One of the first responsibilities of prospective Minnesota adoptive parents is that they must first finish an adoption study before any child is placed with them. The study is conducted by an approved adoption agency, and it determines whether the couple is suited to have a child placed in their home. This report must be revised every year until the adoption process is complete. A copy of the study is submitted to a family court once the adoptive parents file for adoption.

Navigating the child custody process

The dissolution of a marriage can bring about a period of great stress for those involved. While the emotional and financial turmoil that is brought upon the former partners can be very difficult to deal with, it is when children are involved that the stress and uncertainty can be elevated to another level.

Of course, this stress does not diminish a parent's desire to resolve any issues involving a child or children in the best way possible. There are many questions and concerns a parent may have when discussing potential parenting and custody plans; understandable, as no parent wants to damage the child/parent relationship. In such situations, a plan and agreement that is optimal for all parties involved is often sought after.

Subscribe to This Blog's Feed


Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

FindLaw Network